This is a meal that I never would have thought to make on my own. But my wife’s side of the family has been making it for years, and one day, my mother-in-law made it for me…and I was hooked. Anyway, the other day, I got a hankering, and luckily, my wife made it for me! The way the brown sugar and pineapple mix with the apple cider vinegar to infuse all of the other ingredients with a brilliantly dichotomous flavour profile is just magic…and it all happens in the crockpot while you’re off doing whatever you like to do. The end result is coming home to an amazing aroma that punches you with the fists of an angel.
This meal is excellent served with rice or noodles…and a green onion topping is always a perfect garnish to give the dish a nice finish. If you enjoy this one half as much as I do, you’re in for a real treat.
Time: 4-8 Hours (Crockpot though, so worry not. Set it up, leave for the day, and come back to deliciousness!)
- Chicken Breasts
- Red/Yellow/Orange Peppers (your call…we usually use two different colours)
- Any other items you’d like to include (onion, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, cashews, etc.)
- 1 large can of pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Cut up your onion, peppers, and chicken, and put them all into your Crockpot with any other additional ingredients you want. Optional step is to sear/brown your chicken in a skillet first. This helps lock in some of the juiciness, but it’s not necessary.
- Pour in your can of pineapple (including the juice), apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Set the timer, and let the Crockpot do its thing.
- Plate, Devour, and Enjoy!