When my wife and I were on our little hiking getaway in the Catskill Mountains in February, we ordered Chinese Takeout to pick up on the way to the cabin so we could have a fast meal when we arrived. We ordered Singapore Mei Fun and Chicken with Broccoli. The dogs were very interested in the shrimp and chicken, and they begged very hard for those items. However, one of them has a protein allergy (weird, no?), so we decided to research whether broccoli is safe for dogs. We found that it’s generally okay in small quantities, so we rinsed off the sauce and gave them each a small floret. Surprisingly, they loved it!
Fast forward a month or so, and we decided to build dog treats with a little broccoli in them. It turns out that their tastes did not change, and they loved this particular batch!
Time: 50 Minutes
- A few Broccoli Florets
- A ripe banana
- 1/4 Cup Flour (Oat works best)
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Meal
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with some nonstick foil.
- Cut your broccoli into florets, and steam it into oblivion until it’s mushy. Then, pulse it in a blender or food processor to break it down into a paste.
- Peel your banana, and add it to a mixing bowl alongside your mushy broccoli paste.
- Use a fork to mash your banana and mix it well with your broccoli.
- Add in your flour and flax meal, and fold your ingredients together to fully incorporate.
- Scoop your mixture into small balls, and place on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes on one side, then flip, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Allow your treats to cool on a cooling rack.
- Have your dog sit, devour, and enjoy!