Our dogs don’t really like carrots in general. Every now and then, they’ll beg for a baby carrot as I’m cooking, and occasionally, I’ll give them each one. Pretty invariably thereafter, I’ll have to go clean up carrot pieces in the other room. What’s worse is the glares of betrayal the dogs give me, as they clearly expected something different than what they got.
Seeing as though I enjoy hiding veggies in human foods, I figured I’d try to trick the pups into liking carrots, and the idea for these Dog Treats was born. We started by roasting carrots to unleash their natural sweetness before combining them with flour and honey. The end result was something that had a surprisingly molasses-ish taste and aroma…but the dogs LOVED these!
Time: 75 Minutes
Ingredients: (makes 15-20 Treats)
- About 25-30 Baby Carrots
- 1/4 Cup of Flour
- A little Honey
- A tablespoon or two of Water
- Arrange your baby carrots on a baking sheet. Give them a quick oil spray, and then roast for 30 or so minutes at 350 degrees until they soften and begin to brown. **Leave your oven on when your carrots are done.
- Add your roasted carrots to your blender with a little water, and puree. Then, pour the puree into a small mixing bowl.
- Add in your flour, and stir to completely combine. Then, drizzle in a little honey, and stir to incorporate.
- Use a spoon to scoop your dough into treat shaped morsels on your baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Then, flip, and bake on the other side for another 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- *This step is for dogs: Sit, Devour, and Enjoy!