We’ve tried Mexican/Italian Fusion a handful of times before (Margarita Pizza, Chicken or the Egg(plant) Parm Tacos, and Taco Lasagna), and it’s generally worked out well, so we figured we’d try it again. This time, we built upon the classic Italian rice dish, Risotto. To build out the flavours, we relied on Chorizo, Serrano Peppers, Roma Tomatoes, and Ground Cumin! In sum, this dish was a big hit, and if you’re looking for a funky take on classic Mexican flavours or a unique way to make Risotto, this one is worth a try!
We served our risotto over a bed of spinach and topped it off with melted cheese and sliced avocado!
Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients (makes 3-4 servings):
- 12 Ounces Chorizo (Ground Beef or Pork along with chili powder and ground cumin will work too!)
- 1 Onion
- 3 Roma Tomatoes
- 2-3 Serrano Peppers
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- Sliced Black Olives
- 1 Cup of Arborio Rice
- 5 Cups of Vegetable Stock
- Optional: Avocado for Garnish
- Optional: Taco Cheese to Melt Atop
- Optional: Spinach or Shredded Lettuce to put under your risotto
- Bring your vegetable stock to a low simmer in a pot.
- As your stock heats, dice your onion and serrano peppers.
- Heat some oil in a large diameter pot with steep sides, and then add in your peppers and onion.
- Dice your tomatoes and peel and dice your garlic. Then, add them to the pan as well. Cook until the onions turn opaque.
- Add in your chorizo, and continue to sauté until it is fully cooked. Use a spatula to break up any large chunks. Then, add and stir in your black olives.
- Pour your rice into the chorizo/veggie pan, and stir in. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Working about a cup at a time, pour in your veggie stock. After you pour in the cup, stir, and wait until it’s fully absorbed…then add the next cup. Repeat until all the stock has been used, and your rice is fully cooked.
- As your rice cooks, slice your avocado (if using), and line your plate(s) with spinach or shredded lettuce.
- When your risotto is done, scoop it, top it with (optional) cheese, and melt in a microwave.
- Top with your avocado.
- Devour, and enjoy!