We love Burgers. We infuse them with lots of funky ingredients, we borrow flavours from around the world, we use different cheeses, make different sauces…we even try to turn as many veggies into burgers as we can. There’s just something about this sandwich that we keep coming back to. For this particular iteration, we borrowed upon the concept and flavours from our Gyro Burgers and prominently featured eggplant. However, instead of using the glorious purple veggie as a topping, we built it into our burger patties. With the pieces of eggplant built in, we had to add some egg and bread crumb to the patties so they’d hold together during cooking and eating, but in all, the burgers came out well!
We served our burgers with a spinach side salad, but Golden Fennel and Feta Home Fries, Grilled Fennel, or Sweet Potato Wedge Fries would be great too
Time: 35 Minutes
Ingredients: (makes about 4-5 patties)
- For the Patties:
- 1 lb Ground meat of your choice. We used turkey.
- 1/2 Medium Eggplant
- 1 Egg
- Bread Crumbs (amount TBD)
- Garlic Powder
- For the Aioli:
- Dried Dill
- Garlic Powder
- Dice your eggplant into small cubes
- Heat some olive oil in a pan (we prefer cast iron for this), and when it’s hot, add in your eggplant. Sauté until your eggplant softens and browns. Then, add in a little dill and garlic powder to finish.
- Put your ground meat into a bowl, and add your eggplant, an egg, and bread crumbs. Mix together by hand until everything is fully incorporated.
- Add a little more oil into a pan, and heat.
- Form your meat into patties, and add to your pan. Cook for about 5-6 minutes per side.
- As your burgers cook, prep your burger toppings and sauce:
- Pour some mayonnaise, dill, and garlic powder into a bowl, and mix together.
- When your burgers are ready, plate, devour, and enjoy!