As our newly built garden grows, we are starting to see harvests on the horizon! We have several green tomatoes, some tall beet leaves, a bell pepper, some eggplant flowers…but the first item ready was zucchini! For this recipe, we decided to make little morsels out of shredded zucchini in a similar manner to our Kale Tots and our Onion Cheddar Ranch Tots.
For this recipe, we made two batches in two different styles…For one, we used corn meal as our primary dry ingredient, and for the other, we went with regular unseasoned bread crumbs. While both were good, we think we liked the texture and taste of the bread crumbs better, so that’s what our recipe reflects. But, as long as you use about 1/2 cup of total dried ingredient per zucchini, you can mix and match bread crumbs/corn meal based on your taste preferences!
Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients: (for two servings)
- 1 Medium-Large Zucchini
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Garlic Powder
- Cut your zucchini into thirds, and cut each in half so that it will fit into your food processor for shredding.
- Use the shredding plate of your food processor (small holes) to transform your zucchini. If you haven’t got one, you can use a box grater instead.
- Transfer your zucchini shreds to a mixing bowl, and add in your eggs. Stir to combine and incorporate.
- Add your bread crumbs, garlic powder, and salt, and stir in completely.
- Heat up a cast iron pan with some oil in the bottom.
- When the oil’s hot, form your zucchini mixture into little balls, and place in your pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for the same amount as well.
- Plate, Dip in Ketchup (suggested), Devour, and Enjoy!
- **You can also let your tots cool and even freeze them to reheat in the oven at a later time (see last picture for dramatic effect)!