After making Spinach Stuffed Morels with the morels my wife gave me from our new favourite mushroom vendor, I had to come up with something fun to do with the Hen of the Woods that she gave me at the same time. We still had some leftover Pita, Feta, and Cucumber Ranch Dressing from our Camp-out Chicken Kebabs Extravaganza, so we decided to use the Maitake to make vegetarian gyros! We are happy to report that they weren’t too shabby!
Time: 25 Minutes
- Fresh Maitake/Hen of the Woods Mushroom
- Shredded Lettuce
- Feta Cheese
- Cucumber Ranch or Tzaziki
- Rinse and slice your mushroom into cross-sectional pieces.
- Peel and dice some garlic.
- Heat some olive oil in a large cast iron pan.
- When your pan is hot, arrange your mushrooms in a single layer, and sprinkle on your diced garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes to brown, and flip your mushrooms. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side to finish.
- As your mushrooms cook, prep your pitas and other toppings:
- Lay your pita on your plate, and spread your sauce on it.
- Shred your lettuce and thinly slice your tomato and onion, and layer all of those atop your sauce.
- Arrange your cooked mushroom slices on your veggies, and evenly apportion your cooked diced garlic on the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle some feta over everything.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!