We felt extraordinarily indecisive the other day and had a refrigerator stocked with veggies, so we decided to make a four part veggie tapas platter for dinner! The other components we served this were Lemon Parmesan Kale Chips, Mushroom and Flax Balls, and Bittersweet Green Beans. We also put a little couscous in the center of the plate to give us a carb and something to tie everything together.
Last week, my wife took me to The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm for dinner for my birthday. The food was absolutely incredible, and with each course, I kept wondering, “How did they do that?” One such dish was made with sugar snap peas as the base, and it was served with crispy rice and “Cured Egg Yolk.” I don’t know how to describe it other than saying it was uniquely awesome. All that is to say that the next day, I went out and bought a bag of snow peas to play around and create something new for myself!
These peas had a nice sweet earthiness from the spices we used, and they will definitely become a staple side dish for us moving forward.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Fresh Ginger Root
- Ground Turmeric
- Heavy Cream
- Wash your peas and cut any stems off.
- Heat some butter in a pan, and when it’s melted, add your peas.
- Sautee on medium/low for about 10 minutes or until the peas start to caramelize. Stir intermittently.
- While your peas cook, use a spoon to peel the skin off of your ginger root, and then after the 10 minutes, use a microplane grater to grate as much ginger as you like into your pan. Add in your ground turmeric as well, stir, and sautee for another 5-8 minutes.
- At the very end, turn the heat to low, and add a little splash of cream. Stir to quickly combine.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!