We continue to press on with our Savory Rhubarb Crusade! This time, we decided to fully embrace the rhubarb flavours without adding any sort of sweetness beyond the natural sugars found in the onions and the milk. I’m happy to say it was a big hit, and my wife told me to fast-track the post to the top of the list!
As with any casserole, this is completely customizable, and you can play with proteins (diced pork or ground meat…perhaps venison would work well) and vegetables (try adding in some peas or maybe even corn for a little more sweetness if you want to tone down the rhubarb a bit). You can even play with the choice of cheese and go with a creamier gouda or even an earthy/flowery Emmentaler…although our salty cheddar did its job admirably! Heck, if you want to get real wild and change the flavour profile, you can use some cinnamon or nutmeg instead of the chives and black pepper as your seasoning! Let this casserole be your sandbox!
Time: 1 Hour
Ingredients: (For Four Servings)
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 6 Rhubarb Stalks
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Cup White Rice (uncooked volume)
- About 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1.5 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- Chunk of your desired cheese (we used sharp white cheddar)
- Black Pepper
- Optional: Peas (Will give you some great colour)
- Start your rice according to the directions on your packaging.
- Heat a large cast iron pan, and melt your butter.
- While your pan heats, dice your onion and rhubarb. Add to the pan, and allow to sautee for about 5 minutes.
- While your onion and rhubarb cook, dice your red pepper and chicken breast.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and give a casserole dish a quick oil spray.
- When your onion and rhubarb become slightly opaque, add your red pepper and chicken, and stir to combine. Sautee until the chicken is nearly cooked.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked, add your flour, and stir to fully combine. Turn your heat to low, and cook for another two or three minutes.
- Your rice should be done by now, so add it to the chicken/rhubarb pan, and stir it in to combine.
- Pour in your milk, and bring to a low simmer until it thickens.
- Scoop everything into your casserole dish.
- Slice your cheese, place it atop your ricey rhubarby mixture, and then top it all with your chives and black pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes to melt your cheese and all all the flavours to blend.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!