This classic of Chinese Takeout Menus everywhere needs little introduction. Our version requires very few ingredients, and since we nearly always have them on hand, we figured it was a perfect quarantine lunch. We hope you enjoy!
Time: 15 Minutes
Ingredients (per serving):
- Soup Base. Either:
- 2 Cups of Water and 1 Cube of Vegetable or Chicken Boullion or
- 2 Cups of Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch (more if you like a thicker soup)
- Chives or Scallion Onions
- Pour your water (with boullion cube) or stock into a pot, and bring to a simmer.
- When your liquid is simmering, slice your scallions or chives into ribbons, and add them.
- In a measuring cup or small container, mix your corn starch with equal parts warm water, and stir to combine. Pour into your vegetable stock.
- While your liquid continues to simmer and thicken a little, crack an egg into a bowl, and beat it with a fork.
- While stirring the soup liquid with your fork, slowly pour your egg into the soup. The fork will break up the egg into the iconic thin strips.
- Allow to simmer to your desired thickness.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!