It’s been a while since we last cooked with Tofu, so the time felt right to buy a block! For this one, we stuffed it into mushroom caps and roasted it, which made the tofu a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside….a perfect texture contrast from the roasted mushrooms in which the tofu sat. We then added a Mustard Sage Aioli to try to complement the earthy flavours of the mushroom and the mild flavours of the tofu. If however, you aren’t a fan of mustard or mayonnaise, we find that this goes very well with Asian sauces like General Tso or even a Sweet Chili Sauce.
We served these as an entree (although they would make for a fun appetizer too) with Satueed Broccolette and Onions, but depending on your sauce, any number of vegetables or rices would also go well with these stuffed mushrooms.
Time: 60 Minutes
- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu (One block will make about 20 stuffed white mushroom caps)
- White Mushrooms
- Onion Powder
- Bread Crumbs
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- Ground Sage
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, line a baking sheet with some foil, and give the top of the foil a quick oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Open your tofu pack, and pour out the water over a sink.
- Wrap your Tofu in paper towels to remove excess moisture (you my need to do this a few times depending on how absorbent your paper towels are)
- While your tofu is dehydrating, clean your mushrooms, pop the stems out, and place them top down on your baking sheet.
- When a lot of moisture has been removed from your tofu, put the block in a large bowl, and mash it around with your hands to break it up. Then, mix in your salt, onion powder, and bread crumbs.
- Press the tofu crumbles into little balls, and place them in your mushroom caps, and then bake everything for about 40 minutes.
- While everything cooks, mix your mayonnaise, mustard, and sage in a small bowl (or make a completely different sauce if you please).
- When they’re done cooking, remove your stuffed mushrooms from the oven, plate them, and put dollops of your sauce on top of each.
- Devour, and Enjoy!