This is a play on a classic appetizer that I decided to make after watching an episode of the new Good Eats episodes. It’s a bit of a mix between Angels on Horseback (bacon wrapped oysters) and Devils on Horseback (bacon wrapped cheese stuffed dates) because it’s got a seafood component but also an additional filling. Thus, we decided to name it Devils on Seahorse Back to bridge the gap and build a dubbing that pays some homage to the seafood ingredients.
We served these for lunch over a bed of lettuce, but they would also go well as appetizers or over pasta with a cream based sauce and some veggies. Regardless, if the idea of Sardines doesn’t make you queasy, these little delights are worth a try.
Time: 25 Minutes
- Sardines (We are using 1 can per serving)
- Thinly Sliced Bacon (We are subbing in Turkey Bacon)
- Dijon Mustard
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, line a baking sheet with some foil, and give it a quick oil spray.
- Lay out your bacon strips on a large cutting board, and open your sardines.
- Pour your sardine can water out (if you have a dog or cat, keep this to pour over their food later…trust me, their love for you will increase), and carefully remove your sardines from the can so they don’t break. If they break, all is not lost…try mashing them up with some mayonnaise to make sardine salad the same way you would with canned tuna.
- Scoop your mustard atop your bacon, and roll each sardine up tightly, placing each on your baking sheet when you’re done rolling.
- Place your sardines in your oven for about 20 minutes (or until the bacon becomes crispy…You may need to finish them off under the broiler to this end.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!